Search engine

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Happy new year everybody! I would like to start the year 2008 with a deeply optimistic post, a present for you.

What is a blog? It could be a lot of things in fact... From entertaining a network of friends to sharing your last Fish Sauerkraut recipe. I would love to think that mine is a way to help you to stay in touch with contemporary art 'actuality' revisited from the specific angle of the cultural differences... I read blogs, websites, magazines, books, watch TV programs all night long... come out with something I found interesting that I would like to share... And if you like it, you come back on my blog. As simple as this!

So let's start with something really catchy: Theo Jansen and the Beach animals!

Theo Jansen is an artist and sculptor, living and working in the Netherland. "Since 1990 he has been working on a new creation: skeletons made of electric-conduits which walk on windpower. These animals have evolved into several generations over the last twelve years. Eventually he wants to put the anima Is out in herds on the beaches, where they live their own lives".

Here are a few pictures of these animals:


"Ok fair enough... Plastic tubes on the beach... Looks like Blackpool!" I hear you say...

Then you shall watch this, and consider it as my present for the new year:

You want to know how these thing works? (They walk, are mechanically able to recognize water, storms and to react... to survive... Breathtaking!):

Here is a link to the official website:
http://www.strandbeest.com/

I sincerelly hope that you will like it as much as I do. See you soon! I am going for Scotland and Lake district for a week... Want to join me? :-)

0 comments: